May 26: "First Portland Women Appointed Justices Of The Peace"
1927: Residents of Montego Bay applaud with joy as Coke Kerr, custos of the area switches on the motor to set in motion the electric plant, which provides the town with electricity for the first time. The plant has been erected by the Henriques Brothers, electrical engineers of Kingston. The service lines consist of two high-tension cables running for six miles and provide lighting for the streets, public institutions and homes.
1945: Two women, Evelina Lyon-Hall and Adele Prince, the first in the parish of Portland, are appointed justices of the peace. Lyon-Hall is known throughout the length and breadth of Jamaica as a social worker, and played a great part in raising funds for the war efforts (1939-1945). Miss Prince taught at the Titchfield Infant School and retired recently. She is a member of the War Assistance Committee. She is now teaching a private school for infants.
1954: Alfred Spalding, labourer, is acquitted by the jury in the Home Circuit Court of a charge of manslaughter. After a 15-minute retirement, the jury return a verdict of not guilty.
1959: Richard Thompson, 17-year-old school certificate student at Kingston College (KC), is selected by the Ovaltine subcommittee of the Jamaica Lawn Tennis Council as the 1959 Ovaltine Touring Scholar. He will spend two months in the USA beginning the last week of June. He will play in top junior tournaments while there. He is an all-rounder in sports, having played at inside right for the winning KC Manning Cup team last year.
1964: The Rev J.A. Leo-Rhynie, pastor of the East Queen Baptist Church, is elected president of the Jamaica Council of Churches. Outgoing president is Rev S.U. Hastings, bishop of the Moravian Church. Other members of the executive are Rev Hugh Sherlock, first vice-president; Rev Harry Williams, second vice- president; Rev Stanford Webley, secretary; Rev H.S. Shirley, assistant secretary; and Harry Fairweather, treasurer.
1969: Pak choi, a Chinese cabbage grown in Jamaica mainly by East Indians near Spanish Town in St. Catherine, is shipped for the first time to Holland. If it enjoys success among Dutch housewives it is believed there is a market for 10 tons a week.
1972: The first mayor of Black River, Councillor J.H.G. Parchment, is robed at an installation ceremony held at Independence Park in the town.
1976: Jamaica and Norway officially sign a J$25 million line of credit for the purchase of capital equipment, technology and know-how from Norway by both the public and private sectors.
1980: The charred remains of 145 of the victims of the May 20 fire at the Eventide Home in Kingston are buried in 26 wooden coffins in a single grave at National Heroes Park. Thousands of people watch the burial. Thousands more are in attendance of the memorial service at the Roman Catholic Holy Trinity Cathedral on North Street, where Governor General Florizel Glasspole, Prime Minister Michael Manley and Leader of Opposition Edward Seaga take part in the service.