Google+

1934: It is expected that at the coming autumn session of the Legislative Council, a bill will be brought forward to amend the Spirit Licence Law. One of the amendments is in respect to the Licensing Authority. At present, a Magistrate – who does business in Kingston, but resides in St Andrew, cannot be a member of the Licensing Authority of the former parish, and the same thing applies to a magistrate for the parish of St Andrew who happens to reside in Kingston. It is felt that as Kingston and St Andrew form a Corporate Area, what is regarded as an anomaly should be removed.


1938: Good progress is being made with work on the all-island telephone programme under which it is proposed this year to connect Kingston, Mandeville and Montego Bay. The work will very likely be through by March next year.


1938: The city’s official welcome to Sir Arthur Richards KCMG, and Lady Richards, will take place at the Ward Theatre and is described as a function of due pomp and ceremony. The city’s chief theatre will never look more resplendent, and will never house a better-arranged and more colourful affair.


1943: The island treasurer will announce in a day or two the prospectus of the new government offer of inscribed stock to raise £300,000 to finance railway replacements and rolling stock increases.

 
1948: A plan for the development of the Cockburn Pen area to the west of Kingston as a neighbourhood unit, is discussed at a special meeting of the KSAC at which the Town Planning Officer Mr D W Spreull, and Mr EN Bird, MBE, manager of the Central Housing Authority attend and answer a number of questions.


1952: The governor, Sir Hubert Rance of Trinidad, formally opens the first Conference of Caribbean Barristers at the Government Training College Hall with a tribute that it is difficult to assess the debt owed by any government members to the legal profession.


1955: Bills to change the constitutions of the Municipal Council and the Parochial Boards are now under draft. When completed they will be circulated among local government bodies for comment.


1961: Courtleigh Manor, 50-room hotel in suburban St Andrew, is leased to Federal Catering Service (Nassau) Ltd, for a period of five years starting on September 1. Robert Lake, city solicitor and managing director of Courtleigh Manor Hotel Ltd, makes this announcement.

This Day in Our Past »

January - This Day In Our Past

February - This Day In Our Past

March - This Day In Our Past

April - This Day In Our Past

May - This Day In Our Past

June - This Day In Our Past

July - This Day In Our Past

August - This Day In Our Past

September - This Day In Our Past

October - This Day In Our Past

November - This Day In Our Past

December - This Day In Our Past