1932: The attorney general in the Legislative Council introduces a bill entitled a Law to provide for the establishment of a Court of Appeal for the Colony. The measure is an important one. The Bill, which seeks to establish a Court of Civil and Criminal Appeal for the Colony, is divided into nine parts.
1935: A Gazette Extraordinary, issued by the Government, announces the appointment of John Verity, resident magistrate for Clarendon, Frank Noel Isaacs and Enos Louis Jack as commissioners to enquire into the working and conduct of the Land Settlement Branch and the work of the Surveyor General’s Department. The inquiry will specifically refer to charges made against R.D. Robinson, land settlement officer, particularly in respect of the Kellits Land Settlement Scheme.
1939: If the decision of members of the Legislative Council is accepted by the British Authorities, Jamaica will be ruled by two Houses – an Upper and a Lower House – with an executive committee maintaining a connection between the two Houses and initiating legislation and expenditure.
1940: Bishop Emmet, SJ DD, vicar apostolic of Jamaica, opens the magnificent new Church of the Holy Cross in Half-Way Tree. The church is packed to capacity by a congregation representative of the Catholic community in the Corporate Area.
1949: Franklin Town Government School reopens in an imposing new two-storey building which was erected on the site of the former school on the northern side of Victoria Street. The school had been closed since July 1948.
1951: Fifty Jamaican agricultural workers leave the island by Resort Airlines, to work on farms in Maryland and Wisconsin.
1951: A farewell function in honour of Simon Bloomberg, collector general, upon his retirement, is held at Customs House.
1955: Mrs Colin Melhado wins the monthly medal golf competition for women, at the Constant Spring Golf Club. She is awarded the silver spoon. Second-best nett is Mrs R.H. Ridler and the best gross is Mrs R.F. Melhado.
1962: Eighteen additional appointments to complete the nominations to the new Legislative Council of Jamaica are announced by King’s House. The appointments brings to a total of 21 the membership of the council, which becomes the Senate of Jamaica in Independence.
1969: Amy Ashwood Garvey, the first wife of national hero Marcus Garvey, dies at her home at 10 Bloomsbury Road at the age of 72. She was born on January 10, 1897 in Portland, where her parents, Michael and Maud Ashwood, operated a bakery. She attended Westwood High School. She married Marcus Garvey on December 25, 1919. In the 1930s, she went to the Gold Coast, now Ghana, where she was accepted as a daughter of the Ashanti tribe and called ‘Madam Boheima’, a tribe name.