Dr. Yasmin Williams, a family doctor and public health specialist, outlines some steps diabetics can take to control the disease. Persons who are at risk for developing the disease can also follow these tips to improve their health.
- Exercise regularly
- Eat a healthy diet comprising foods from all six food groups in appropriate quantities
- See your doctor on a regular basis
- Take your tablets/insulin daily as prescribed. You may be lucky and find that lifestyle modification is enough to maintain your blood sugar level within the normal range. If not, it will certainly facilitate reduction in the amount of medication needed with reduced side effects and cost.
- Have regular checks to document your blood glucose levels
- Control your blood pressure
- Do not smoke
- Control your blood cholesterol level