In today’s Gleaner, you might have seen this article advising homeowners to have their house wiring checked by a licensed electrician. The Jamaica Fire Brigade is alerting everyone to the need to ensure that your house wiring can handle the extra load from Christmas lights.
Here are 7 other fire safety tips for Christmas:
- Check your lights. Do not use if they are worn, frayed or have broken cords or loose bulb connections.
- Keep the lights far from flammable materials, decorations and cards.
- Don’t allow children to play with lights.
- When hanging outdoor lights, keep electrical connections off the ground and away from water.
- If you are getting an artificial tree, check to see if it is “fire resistant”
- If you have a real tree, make sure it is not blocking an entrance/exit and that it is far away from any heat sources – including the television.
- Turn off all lights before you go to bed or leave the house.
Have more safety tips? Share them with us!