- What Is A Personal Effects Barrel? Personal effects refer to items for an individual or a household and do not apply to barrels containing items in commercial quantities
- Is Is Illegal To Call Commercial Items “Personal Effects”? Yes. A false declaration is a breach of the Customs Act and will result in penalties including possible forfeiture of goods.
- What Documents Do You Need? All of the following:
- Order or bill of lading from your shipping agent, freight forwarder or customs broker
- Valid identification – national ID, drivers’ licence or passport
- Taxpayers Registration Number (TRN)
- Are There Any Other Charges? Yes, handling and storage.
- How Much Does It Cost ? As of January 2, 2013, the fee is $6,500 per personal effects barrel
Information for this Tip Thursday was gathered from Jamaica-Gleaner.com articles here and here and here (with a step-by-step guide)