On October 17, 2017, Denham Town was declared Jamaica’s second zone of special operations (#ZOSO) by Prime Minister Andrew Holness in a press conference at Jamaica House. In continuation of our tracking of the operations as it unfolds, we’ve decided to do a second timeline, devoted to updates coming out of Denham Town over the operation’s 60 days.
See our explanation, in layman’s terms, of what SOZO is and the circumstances leading to its inception: What are ‘Zones of Special Operations’? In Laymen’s Terms (See also ZOSO Made Simple) and our timeline of the first ZOSO
Tuesday, September 17, 2017 – PM Holness announces Denham Town as second ZOSO
Prime Minister Andrew Holness announced that the second zone of special operations, made possible under recently enacted legislation, has been declared in Denham Town, west Kingston.
- Denham Town Declares Second Zone of Special Operations
- ZOSO Daddies – Soldiers Playing Father Role
- Second ZOSO No Solution to Crime
Wednesday, September 18, 2017
Reactions pour in, as well as clarifications, as persons respond to the second announcement with questions and concerns, and make comparisons with the first.
- Security Forces Able To Handle ZOSO and By-Elections – Holness
- PNP Queries Support for Zones – Jackson says Finance Ministry has Provided No Funds
- Building a Better SOZO – JDF Amends Measures for Greater Success in New Zone
- All of us Feeling Crime, Says Denham Town Resident
- War on Gangs – Second SOZO To Tackle Denham Town Threats
Thursday, September 19, 2017
Prime Minister Andrew Holness says he gives the Mount Salem zone of special operations a B-plus grade, even as Denham Town residents and business owners react to the first days of their own ZOSO.
- PM Gives Mount Salem ZOSO A B-Plus Grade
- Good for Safety, Bad for Business – Shop Owners, Students Brace for ZOSO Impact
- 30 Vehicles Purchased for ZOSOs
Wednesday, October 18, 2017
Thursday, October 19, 2017
Sunday, October 22, 2017
Monday, October 23, 2017
The police seized three illegal firearms, an undisclosed quantity of ammunition, and two credit card scanning machines, among other things in operations near the second ZOSO, Denham Town.
Saturday, October 28, 2017
Sunday, October 29, 2017
Wednesday, November 1, 2017
Sunday, November 5, 2017
Tuesday, November 7, 2013
Security forces officially expanded the second zone of special operations (ZOSO) to include communities closely neighbouring Denham Town.
- West Kingston ZOSO Widens – Denham Town Zone Grows To Include Neighbouring Communities
- Social intervention committee for Denham Town ZOSO named
Monday, November 13, 2017
Shooters Hill residents begin to complain about different aspects of ZOSO.
Thursday, November 30, 2017
Prime Minister Andrew Holness has indicated that it is likely that the zone of special operation (ZOSO) in Denham Town, Kingston, will be extended.
Saturday, December 2, 2017
Wednesday, December 13, 2017
- Vibes mission in Denham Town – Fun run takes place in ZOSO this Sunday
- No more ‘pi pi’ a nights … Denham Town residents exhale during fun run
Sunday, December 17, 2017
Sunday, February 11, 2018
- ZOSO’s solid start: Social intervention in Denham Town gets thumbs up
- Hospital thankful for ZOSO – KPH seeing fewer gunshot wounds since zone introduced in Denham Town
Wednesday, February 14, 2018
Saturday, February 24, 2018
Sunday, March 4, 2018
Monday, March 5, 2018
Thursday, March 15, 2018
- Man killed, another injured in Denham Town ZOSO
- The blood of Jesus saved us: Denham Town residents fearful after gunmen invade community
Monday, March 19, 2018
Tuesday, March 20, 2018
Thursday, April 12, 2018
Sunday, April 22, 2018
- Despair in Denham Town – ZOSO peace dream becomes bloody nightmare for residents after police and soldiers pull out
Tuesday, April 24, 2018
Thursday, August 2, 2018