Background to the Issue
Coming in tandem with the Petrojam Scandal (see our timeline here), a scandal has unfolded around the management of the National Energy Solution Limited (NESOL). NESOL falls under the purview of the Ministry of Science, Energy & Technology, overseen by embattled Minister Andrew Wheatley. Formerly known as the Rural Electrification Programme (REP), it is responsible for creating new energy solutions to expand the reach of electricity supply to rural areas and minimize unauthorized connections to the national grid in urban communities through the build-out of renewable energy at the domestic level.
NESOL’s Acting Chief Engineer Lawrence Pommells was arrested on money laundering charges, and an audit on the projects that Mr. Pomells signed off on up until his arrest was requested by the PAAC. A timeline of the resulting scandal is chronicled below.
Thursday, June 14, 2018
Friday, June 15, 2018
- Two Men Charged In Multi-Agency Money Laundering Probe
- RJR: NESOL Employee, Mechanic to Answer Corruption Charges Next Week
Tuesday, June 19, 2018
Tuesday, June 26, 2018
Thursday, July 12, 2018
Pommels was allowed to sign cheques for seven months after his stint as acting chief engineer ended in November 2017. According to company policy, Pommels should have been removed as a signing officer after Anthony Brown, chief engineer, returned from leave that ran from May to November 2017.
Friday, July 13, 2018
Phillip Paulwell called for Prime Minister Andrew Holness, in his capacity as Minister of Energy, to immediately relieve Carolyn Warren of her duties as managing director of NESOL.
- PNP Demands NESOL Head Dismissed Over 25-Year-Old Cocaine Conviction
- RJR: NESOL Managing Director Admits to Past Drug Conviction
Saturday, July 14, 2018
Wednesday, July 18, 2018
Anthony Brown, NESOL chief engineer, told Parliament’s PPAC that he was circumvented from continuing as a signing officer at the entity when he returned from a seven-month lease. Lawrence Pommels was elevated to signing officer over three other engineers with degrees, Pommells himself having only a diploma in engineering. NESOL’s Director of Finance, Angella Prendergast, who joined the company as Financial Specialist and was promoted two months later to Director of Finance, did not apply for her original post through advertisement, saying she heard of the position “through the grapevine.”
- NESOL Chief Engineer Left Uncomfortable After Losing Signing Rights
- Editorial: Carolyn Warren Opens Door To National Dialogue
- RJR: Questions Raised About Operations At NESOL
- RJR: More Questions Raised About Appointments At NESOL
Thursday, July 19, 2018
Sunday, July 22, 2018
Tuesday, July 24, 2018
- Warren Dismisses Fresh Allegations of Convictions
- Garnett Roper: NESOL Slush Fund
- George Davis: The Real Crime Against Carolyn Warren
Thursday, July 26, 2018
Warren resigns. The Opposition insist Trevor Forrest’s attempt to breach procedures to parachute Carolyn Warren to the Spectrum Management Authority makes him unsuitable to sit on any government board. Forrest insisted that Warren’s application be on the short list of candidates for the post of Manager – Administration even though it was late, but his request was rebuffed by then managing director, Dr David McBean.
Friday, July 27, 2018
Warren admits that she has six criminal convictions. The Opposition steps up pressure on the government, calling for the removal of Trevor Forrest, who is chairman of the Spectrum Management Authority, deputy chairman of the Universal Service Fund Board, and the e-Learning board, from all state boards.
- Warren Comes Clean … Now Admits She Has 6 Criminal Convictions
- Opposition Wants Trevor Forrest Removed From All Government Boards
- Opposition Wants Trevor Forrest Off All Gov’t Boards – Forrest Cites Official Secrets Act to Gleaner Then Takes to Twitter
- Email Trail … How The SMA Chairman Tried To Breach Employment Policy
- Editorial: Three Cheers to David McBean
- RJR: Robinson Calls For Removal of Spectrum Agency Chairman Trevor Forrest
- RJR: Former NESOL Boss Says Ex-Convicts Should Be Allowed to Serve in Public Sector
Saturday, July 28, 2018
PSOJ head Howard Mitchell has called for an audit of the “general conduct” on state boards of Trevor Forrest.
Sunday, July 29, 2018
- Forrest Fires Back – SMA Chairman Rejects Claim That He Was Trying To Get Warren On To Employment Shortlist Through Back Door
Tuesday, July 31, 2018
Wednesday, August 1, 2018
It is revealed that Trevor Forrest ignored the advice of MSET permanent secretary Hilary Alexander against the late addition of Carolyn Warren to a shortlist of persons to be interviewed for a management position after the application process had closed in 2016.
Thursday, August 2, 2018
Friday, August 3, 2018
Trevor Forrest resigned yesterday as board chairman for Spectrum Management Authority (SMA).
Sunday, August 5, 2018