TERMS YOU SHOULD KNOW
Formation: Storms form in disturbed area of the ocean.
Tropical Depression: Thunderstorms swirl around a centre.
Tropical Storm: An organised system of clouds and thunderstorms with a defined circulation and top winds of 63 kph (39 mph) to 118 kph (74 mph).
Hurricane Watch: Hurricane conditions possible within 36 hours.
Hurricane Warning: Hurricane conditions expected within 24 hours.
Hurricane: An intense tropical weather system with a well-defined circulation and wind speeds of 118 kph (74 mph) or higher.
Hurricanes are categorized according to their wind speed:
- Tropical storm: winds 39-73 mph
- Category One: winds 74-95 mph
- Category Two: winds 96-110 mph
- Category Three: winds 111-130 mph
- Category Four: winds 131-155 mph
- Category Five:winds 156 mph and up