Did you know that sweet potatoes have twice the fibre, twice the calcium, and over 1300 times more vitamin A than white potatoes? Sweet potatoes are filled with health benefits which when consumed regularly can improve your life. Here are the top 5 benefits of sweet potato:
- Supports Healthy Vision. Sweet potatoes are incredibly rick in beta-carotene, the antioxidant responsible for the vegetable’s bright orange colour
- May Enhance Brain Function. Animal studies have found that the anthocyanins in purple sweet potatoes can protect the brain by reducing inflammation and preventing free radical damage.
- Boosts Immune System. Orange-fleshed sweet potatoes are one of the richest natural sources of beta-carotene, a plant-based compound that is converted to vitamin A in your body.
- Promotes Gut Health. The fibre and antioxidants in sweet potatoes are advantageous to gut health.
- May Have Cancer-Fighting Properties. Sweet potatoes are starchy root vegetables that are rich in fibre, vitamins and minerals. They’re also high in antioxidants that protect your body from free radical damage and chronic diseases.
Source: The Gleaner
For more information and ways to prepare:
“The sweet potato is probably the most widely used ground provision because of its taste, versatility and nutritional value. Sweet potatoes are of the Morning Glory convolvulaceae family. The sweet potato is known as batata, the Indian word for sweet potato.
The origin of sweet potatoes is South America (Peru and Ecuador). In the 17th century, potatoes became popular in Europe as a crop during famine. Today, sweet potato is a popular food in the southern United States, where they have been cultivated since the 16th century. Sweet potato is part of the staple diet …..”. Read more here in this article “Sweet Sweet Potato”.
- Mmmmmmmm….Stuffed Twiced Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potatoes Two Ways : Simple And Delicious
- Assortment of recipes on diG Jamaica