There was a time Jamaica looked like this:
Before the British arrived, there were no real parishes, but huge swathes of land that were either named after large Spanish ranches (Yallahs, Morant) or retained their Arawak names (Guanboa, Liguanea).
The current ‘face’ of Jamaica, which we all know, looks like this:
At one point in time Jamaica, Jamaica had 22 parishes. By the time we got to 1866, several of the smaller parishes were combined or absorbed into larger ones. On April 23, 1867, the Counties and Parishes Act was passed, leaving us with the 14 we know today.
Click the link to see the rest of Jamaica’s parish evolution.