Dwayne Vaz – Westmoreland Central
Young businessman Dwayne Vaz won the by-election to become the Member of Parliament for Westmoreland Central following the death of the much loved Roger Clarke. Here are some more facts about him:
- He was born on July 23, 1981 at the St Joseph’s Hospital in Kingston.
- He attended The Manning’s School before entering the University of the West Indies (UWI) in 1999 to pursue a BSc in Hotel Management. He also holds an MBA from the University of New Orleans.
- His first job after UWI was as a community development officer for the Social Development Commission (SDC) between 2003 and 2006.
- In 2010, while he was starting Flexi Financing and Consultancy Agency, his own micro-loan business, Vaz was approached by Clarke to manage his Constituency Development Fund (CDF).
- Vaz’s second business, the business process outsourcing (BPO) outfit Estelar Global Services, was established in 2014. He was thrust into the spotlight soon after the company was launched, when Clarke died and he became one of the candidates vying for the seat.