Kingston East & Port Royal – Phillip Paulwell
Minister of Science, Technology, Energy and Mining Phillip Paulwell, is the Member of Parliament for the Kingston East & Port Royal constituency. Here are some facts about him:
- Phillip Feanny Paulwell was born on January 14, 1962 in St Thomas. He attended Norman Gardens Primary, Excelsior High, Excelsior Community College, the University of the West Indies (LLB Hons, 1986) and the Norman Manley Law School (Certificate in Legal Education, 1988).
- An lawyer by profession, he started his political career in 1995 as a Senator and Minister of State in the Ministry of Industry Investment and Commerce.
- Paulwell is credited with the liberalisation of the telecommunications sector. In 2000, he was the recipient of the Gleaner Honour Award for implementing historic measures to break the 25-year telecommunications monopoly and introduce competition in the sector.
- He was inducted into the Order of Distinction, Commander class, at the National Honours and Awards Ceremony at King’s House on National Heroes Day 2015.
- He has one daughter, Terry-Ann.