The Caribbean Maritime Institute (CMI) is the Caribbean’s training centre for professional seafarers and personnel in the shipping, logistics and supply chain management sectors.
The institute was established in 1980 in a collaborative effort by the Government of Jamaica and the Government of the Kingdom of Norway to train Jamaican seafarers.
Functions of the CMI
- Satisfying the demand, locally and worldwide, for qualified seafarers,
- Exploring the link between land, sea, air
The Maritime Authority was formed under the Shipping Act of 1998, which provided for the establishment of maritime administration. Under the Shipping Act, the purpose of the Maritime Authority is to develop the shipping sector and regulate matters relating to commercial shipping and seafarers.
Functions of Maritime Authority
- Manage the registration of ships and to regulate the certification of seafarers
- Regulate the safety standards for the construction of ships and navigation.
- Inspect ships for the purposes of maritime safety and prevention of marine pollution.
- Investigate shipwrecks or other casualties affecting ships as well as charges of incompetence or misconduct on the part of seafarers in relation to such casualties.
- Establish maritime training and safety standards.
- Administer policy for the development of shipping in general
The duty of the Works portfolio in the ministry is to provide, maintain and expand the island’s main road network while assisting where possible with parochial and other types of roads.
The Ministry’s mandate in terms of infrastructure development also extends to bridges, some drains and gullies, river training and sea defence.
Check out these reports on major infrastructure projects in Jamaica
- Jamaica Development Infrastructure Programme (JDIP)
- Christiana Development Road Project (JDIP)
- Highway 2000
- Falmouth Cruise Ship Pier
- Palisadoes Road Project
- Bog Walk Gorge
- Fern Gully
Ministry of Transport, Works and Housing. http://www.mtw.gov.jm/
Jamaica Transport Authority. http://ta.org.jm/
Caribbean Maritime Institute. http://www.cmi.edu.jm/
Maritime Authority of Jamaica. http://www.jamaicaships.com/JSR/