This week’s image comes from the Friday Gleaner story, Gleaner Honour Awards – Just Two Good – Shelly-Ann, Tessanne Named Women Of The Year.
Each year, since 1979, the Gleaner has been honouring the initiative, courage and accomplishments of organisations and individuals whose contributions have significantly improved Jamaica’s quality of life. The theme for 2013 was innovation. History was made this year as the Person of the Year award, which had never before been won by a woman, was shared by Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce and Tessanne Chin.
The 2013 honourees are:
- Voluntary Service – Mustard Seed Communities, represented by Monsignor Gregory Ramkissoon
- Education – Crayons Count, represented by Deika Morrison
- Entertainment and joint Person of the Year, Tessanne Chin
- Sports and joint Person of the Year, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce
- Public Service – the Economic Programme Oversight Committee (EPOC), represented by Richard Byles, Finance Minister Dr Peter Phillips and BOJ governor Brian Wynter
- Business (Special Award) – Knutsford Express, represented by Anthony Copeland and Oliver Townsend
- Science and Technology – Columbus Communications, represented by Michele English
- Health and Wellness – Minister of Health, Dr Fenton Ferguson
- Arts and Culture – Jimmy Cliff, represented by Lennie Little-White
- Sports (Special Award) – Javon Francis
Click here for more photo highlights. See video highlights below.