Choosing the right gift can be frustrating and let’s face it, most of us just aren’t born with the gift to GIFT. Do you find yourself wandering from store to store waiting for the right gift to jump out at you? Or are you the kind of gifter who has completely given up, and has resorted to money and gift cards?
Here are five great tips on how to make over your gift-giving reputation, so you’ll be on everyone’s nice list:
- Channel your inner Sherlock: Observation is a key element in choosing the right gift. Does your Aunt Mirrie have a small collection of brooches? Or does your father wear a specific style of pants? Doing a little research by investigating what your recipient already owns will give your great insight to the things they love. Do a little digging and see what you can come up with. Sometimes the answer is right in front of you.
- Make it with love: The craftier ones of us know the power of DIY, and all it takes is a trip to an art supply store or pharmacy. Handmade gifts are great because not only are they cost effective, but taking the time to make a gift shows how much you care.
- Get help: There’s no shame in asking for help from other family members and friends. Do a poll, asking friends and family who know the recipient well for suggestions. You can also grill them about previous gifts they gave that got rave reviews.
- Don’t wait until the last minute: We all have hectic schedules, but to get the right gift takes time. Be prepared to make two or three outings before you finally find the right gift. Waiting until the last minute gives you less time to explore all your available options. You don’t want to be forced to choose something less than special because it was your only choice.
- Have them pick it out themselves: Now, I know you’re thinking this is a definite cop-out, but hear me out. Take your friend or family member out with you while you shop, as most people can’t resist oohing and ahhing over things they like. Take notes and see what kinds of things they gravitate towards. You can even be bold and ask questions like, “What do you think of this?” It’s a little sneaky, but what better way than to get it straight from the horse’s mouth?
The holidays are a time for giving and showing your loved ones how much you care. Gifts that demonstrate thought and effort always go over well, so always give from the heart. Look out for my gift guide full of local items in next week’s post. Happy gifting!
Monique R Kennedy is the founder of the Award Winning lifestyle blog M*RKologie (www.makeyourmrk.com). You can follow Monique’s personal and business ramblings on Twitter @mrklogie.