We wrap up our ‘tour‘ of historical sites around our beautiful island with Westmoreland, Hanover, St James and Trelawny. (This is Part 2 and see here for Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3)
- Ackendown Castle Ruin – According to a plaque on the inner wall, the castle was built by Archibald Campbell (1781-1833) of the family of Auchenbreck, from Argyll in Scotland.
- Savanna-la-mar Baptist Church – Erected in 1835, it was destroyed by fire on November 23, 1839 and rebuilt in 1840.
- Savanna-la-mar Court House – Built in 1925, it is located in Norman Square on Great George Street.
- Savanna-la-mar Fort – It was constructed in the middle of the 18th century at a cost of £16,000
- Salem – The church building, formerly a small, dilapidated school-house, was born out of the need to relocate the Moravian congregation at New Hope in Westmoreland.
- The Manning’s School – In 1711, Thomas Manning bequeathed a gift of land for the setting up of a free school in the parish of Westmoreland. Interestingly, the school was established on the present site near Savanna-la-mar instead of on the lands left by Manning at Burnt Savannah Pen.
- Negril Point Lighthouse – Standing 66 feet above ground, the light is elevated 100 feet above sea level.
- Cast Iron Fountain – This was presented to the town of Savanna-La-Mar in 1887 by E. J. Sadler.
- Seaford Town – This European settlement was established by Lord Seaford following the abolition of slavery on August 1, 1834.
- Chebuctoo Great House – Chebuctoo is situated near the small village of Cave on a pimento plantation.