Historical Sites In Jamaica – Part 3

St Elizabeth

HollandBambooB20061027IA

  1. Pedro Bank – Found within the coordinates:Longitude 78° 20′ 00″ West and 77° 20′ 00″ West and Latitude 16° 45′ 00″ North and 17° 10′ 00″ North.
  2. Lacovia Tombstones – Erected in memory of Thomas J Spencer and another who died in 1738.
  3. St Elizabeth Parish Church – The original building was constructed around 1700.
  4. Black River Court House – The date of construction is unknown.
  5. Black River – The Black River was for years believed to be the longest river in Jamaica until recent research reveals that this position is held by the Rio Minho, which is 92.8 km long. It was originally called Rio Caobana (Mahogany River) by the Spaniards.
  6. Hampton School – The school has its origins in the Munro and Dickenson Trust, which also established Munro College. The current location, formerly known as Fort Rose, was originally rented in 1891 and purchased Hampton for ₤800 in 1896.
  7. Lovers’ Leap Lighthouse – Stands approximately 1,600 feet above sea level, it is powered by three different power sources
  8. Black River Spa – Was one of the more popular spas in the island up until the 1930s.
  9. Bamboo Avenue – Approximately 2.5 miles long, with the tall bamboo forming a canopy over it.
  10. Golmont View House – Golmont View was purported to have been purchased for 40 gold pieces and was first named Goldmont View, but was later changed to Golmont View.
  11. Lovers’ Leap – Consists of a cliff with a drop of approximately 1,600 feet.
  12. Independence Park – Used mainly to host horticultural and stage shows, Independence Park is the centre of cultural activities in the parish.
  13. Appleton Railway Station – The two-storey Jamaica/Georgian timber structure was constructed around 1894.
  14. Balaclava Railway Station – The Jamaica/Georgian two-storey building was erected around 1892.
  15. Accompong – The town was founded in 1739 when land was given to the Maroons as part of a peace treaty with the British.
  16. Munro College – In 1856, a free school for boys was opened near Black River and early in 1857, the premises of Potsdam in Santa Cruz Mountains were purchased and the school removed there.
  17. Invercauld – Built in 1894 on Black River’s seaside High Street, it is a fine example of late Jamaican Georgian architecture.