Historical Sites In Jamaica – Part 3

St Catherine

RobertDavisB20100311C

  1. Flat Bridge – Constructed after 1724, with piles and braces interlaced with masonry.
  2. Historic Cast Iron Bridge (Spanish Town) – Erected in 1801, constructed with cast iron and cut stone.
  3. Mountain River Cave – First reported in 1897 by JF Duerden. The mile long trek to the cave from the main road passes over a winding river.
  4. Two Sisters Cave – Located in the Hellshire Hills, St Catherine. Each cave has a large sink hole, which contains fresh water.
  5. Jericho Baptist Church – Erected in 1835, it is made of cut stone and brick construction.
  6. Mount Nebo Baptist – Founded in 1837, the present building dates from the early 20th century.
  7. Phillippo Baptist Church – Erected in 1827, it is named after the eminent Baptist missionary, James Phillippo.
  8. Spanish Town Cathedral – Also known as the St Catherine Parish Church, it was built in the second half of the 17th century.
  9. St Dorothy’s Anglican – Located about two miles from Old Harbour, it was built on land donated by Colonel Thomas Fuller and his wife Catherine in 1681.
  10. Spanish Town Court House – The Georgian building was erected at a cost of ₤15,700.
  11. Old Police Station & Court House – After the historic Court House in Emancipation Square was gutted by fire, the site of the Old Police Station was refurbished. During this time, the special constables attached to the Spanish Town Police continued to operate out of the old police station.
  12. Fort Augusta – Completed in the 1750s and named in honour of the mother of King George III.
  13. Fort Small – Built in 1782 to protect the bay between Port Henderson and the Hellshire Hills.
  14. Sligoville – The first free village in Jamaica.
  15. Hayfield House – Excellent example of a modest Georgian residence adapted to the local climate.
  16. Highgate House – Considered to be the oldest structure in the district of Sligoville.
  17. Thetford Great House – Colonel Thomas Fuller received the Thetford property as a reward for his role in the 1655 capture of Jamaica by the British.
  18. Spanish Town – Built by the Spaniards after Sevilla Nueva (New Seville) was abandoned. Dates from 1534.
  19. Colbeck Castle – A massive stone and brick ruin with walls standing to their full original height.
  20. Bog Walk Gorge – Bog Walk is derived from the Spanish words Boca de Agua which means “water’s mouth.”
  21. White Marl Taino Midden and Museum – Established in 1965 in memory of Dr Randolph Howard.
  22. Highway 2000 – Jamaica’s first toll highway. It will be constructed in two phases.
  23. Old Harbour Bypass – 14.7 Kilometers of highway traverse the parishes of Clarendon and St Catherine.
  24. Bog Walk Railway Station – Constructed around 1895, it consists of a simple two-storey timber structure..
  25. Linstead Railway Station – Built around 1885, it boasts a very simple Jamaica/Georgian style of architecture.
  26. Old Harbour Railway Station – The simple two-storey Jamaica/Georgian structure was constructed around 1879.
  27. Riversdale Railway Station – The two-storey Jamaica/Georgian timber building was erected around 1896.
  28. Spanish Town Railway Station – Another Jamaica/Georgian style brick building, it was constructed in 1845.
  29. Bushy Park Aqueduct – Built between 1760 and 1780, it was a part of the Bushy Park Sugar Estate factory works.