Historical Sites In Jamaica – Part 2

St Andrew

DevonHouseJ20050909IA

  1. Jewish Cemetery – It is the oldest denominational cemetery on the island and is one of the oldest Jewish cemeteries in the Western Hemisphere.
  2. Church of the Good Shepherd – The church has its origins in a mission school for the East Indians of the area.
  3. Half Way Tree Court House – It was built in 1807 and approved by the Parish Vestry Committee the following year.
  4. Admiral Mountain Great House – Admiral’s Mountain became the residence of all British Admirals stationed in Jamaica during the latter part of the 18th and early 19th centuries.
  5. Cherry Garden Great House – After emancipation, the property was administered by Joseph Gordon, the father of George William Gordon, National Hero of Jamaica.
  6. Mona Great House -The great house was attached to the Mona Estate which was established in 1681. It is private property.
  7. Jamaica College Buildings – In 1902 a law was passed for the amalgamation of the Jamaica High School and the University College under the name of Jamaica College, by which it is still known.
  8. Mico College Buildings – The institution was established as a result of funds bequeathed by Lady Mico in 1690 to her nephew Samuel, on condition that he marry one of his cousins.
  9. Shortwood Teachers’ College – The college began operations on September 28, 1885.
  10. Plumb Point Lighthouse – The lighthouse, which stands on the Palisadoes Peninsula at Great Plumb Point near the entrance of the Kingston Harbour, was built in 1853, 11 years after the construction of the Morant Point Lighthouse.
  11. 24 Tucker Avenue – This is the former residence of the late Sir Alexander Bustamante, National Hero of Jamaica.
  12. Regardless – The house became the residence of former Premier and National Hero, Norman Manley and his family after theur original home, Drumblair, was sold in 1961 to pay off his debts.
  13. Bob Marley Museum – The former residence of the Hon Robert Nesta Marley, it now houses a museum displaying memorabilia of the legendary reggae superstar.
  14. Craighton House – The house is named after its first owner, George Craighton. It is believed to have been built in 1805.
  15. Devon House – The house is a fine example of 19th century domestic architecture in Jamaica.
  16. Lillian’s Restaurant & the Ruins of Three Concrete Silos – These structures are located on the campus of the University of Technology, which was established on lands that were part of the Hope Sugar Estate.
  17. New Castle Training Depot – The training facility was founded in 1841 by Major General Sir William Maynard Gomm.
  18. Cinchona Botanical Garden – From Cinchona, established in 1868, one gets a majestic view of Strawberry Hill, the Blue Mountains, Liguanea plains, and Kingston.
  19. Clydesdale National Forest Park – Clydesdale National Forest Park is located in the hills of the Blue Mountain range. Its location was once a coffee works and barbecues and waterwheel can still be seen.
  20. Holywell National Park – Because of the very cool temperature in this area, Hollywell National Park has a variety of ferns, flowers, and trees which are rarely seen in other parts of the island.
  21. Hope Botanical Garden – Two hundred acres of Hope Estate was purchased by the government to establish an experimental garden in 1881.
  22. Long Mountain – Long Mountain dates back to the 18th Century and was a part of the Mona Estate, which then had 1072 acres.
  23. Papine-Mona Aqueduct – This is a fine example of 18th century civil engineering in Jamaica. The aqueduct once served the Mona, Hope and Papine Estates with water from the Hope River.
  24. St Andrew Parish Church – The St Andrew Parish Church was founded in 1664 and is one of the oldest churches in the country.