Historical Sites In Jamaica – Part 1

Manchester

MandevilleParishChurchFF&19620912

  1. New Broughton United, Manchester – The construction of the church, originally Presbyterian, began in 1837 and was completed in 1842.
  2. St Mark’s Anglican Church – The Parish Church of Manchester, it was completed and consecrated in 1820.
  3. Mandeville Court House – The court house is the oldest building in the Mandeville Square, having been erected only two years after the town had been incorporated in 1815.
  4. Maidstone – The peasantry was founded under the direction of Moravian missionaries in 1840.
  5. Bloomfield Great House –  The Mandeville Square now stands on land donated by four estates, one of which was Bloomfield, site of the great house.
  6. Marlborough Great House – A significant feature of the building is its high and imposing portico, which raises its large columns to the roof. The house is now a private residence.
  7. Marshall’s Pen Great House – Marshall’s Pen Estate dates back to the first Provost General of Jamaica. It was originally a cattle property.
  8. Northern Caribbean University – The school, originally known as West Indies College, began on this site in January of 1919 with five boarding students in a rented farmhouse called the Great House.
  9. Roxborough –  This is the birthplace of National Hero, the Right Excellent Norman Washington Manley. The property was originally a part of an estate recorded as Roxbro Castle.
  10. Manchester Club Golf Course – Built in 1865, is believed to be the oldest surviving golf club in the western hemisphere.
  11. Greenvale Railway Station – Greenvale railway station was constructed around 1892.
  12. Williamsfield Railway Station – This railway station was constructed around 1891.