Coconut Sweet Bread
4 1/2 cups flour
4 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 cup chopped dried mixed fruit
1 cup raisins or 1 cup sultana
3 cups coconut, grated (not dried or sweetened)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
2 eggs, well-beaten
1/2 cup evaporated milk
2 teaspoons almond essence
1/2 lb butter (melted) or 1/2 lb margarine (melted)
1. Mix and sift flour, baking powder, and salt four times.
2. Add sugar and fruit; blend evenly.
3. Add coconut, cinnamon, and grated nutmeg and stir well.
4. In another bowl, combine the whipped eggs, milk, essence, and cooled melted butter. Mix well.
5. Make a well in the flour mixture.
6. Pour the egg mixture into the well and stir with a spoon. Batter will be heavy and mixture will be fairly stiff.
7. Do not knead or bread will be tough. Mix entirely by spoon, assisted by a knife.
8. Pile into two non-stick or greased loaf tins.
9. Bake at 325F for 50-60 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
OPTIONAL: When done, glaze with mixture of 1 tablespoon sugar and one tablespoon water. Sprinkle with granulated sugar and return to the oven for 3-4 minutes.