Sweet Saltfish Cakes (Guyana)
11/2lb (681g) half-ripe plantain
1lb (454g) salt fish
1oz (28g) margarine
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
8oz (227g) breadcrumbs or biscuit crumbs
1 pint (560m) vegetable oil
1. Peel the plantains.
2. Boil the salt fish and plantains separately and drain.
3. Mash the plantains with the margarine. Flake the salt fish.
4. Add the salt fish to the mashed plantain, then combine with the mustard, garlic, onion and 1 egg.
5. Mix well and form into cakes.
6. Heat the oil.
7. Beat the remaining eggs. Coat the fish cakes in beaten egg and crumbs and fry in the hot oil until brown.
Drain and serve.