Coconut-crusted lionfish fillet with a mango salsa
1 cup peeled and chopped firm ripe mango
(Julie, East Indian or Bombay)
1 small onion diced finely
1/2tsp minced Scotch bonnet (no seeds please)
1tsp fresh grated ginger
2tbs fresh cilantro
1/4tsp salt and pepper
1/2 cup milk or 1/4 cup heavy cooking cream
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
4 tbs flour
8 lionfish fillets
1. In a stainless steel bowl, combine the first five ingredients, toss and set aside. This can be done three hours in advance.
2. In another bowl, combine coconut and panko breadcrumbs.
3. Put flour on a large plate.
4. In another bowl, beat eggs and add milk and set aside.
5. Season fish fillets with salt and pepper then dredge fillet in flour. Shake.
6. Dip each floured fillet in egg-and-milk mix, then coat in coconut.
7. Heat oil in frying pan until pan sizzles .
8. Place fillets in hot frying pan. Cook for two minutes per side until golden brown.
9. Remove on to a baking sheet. Place in oven and bake for 8 minutes.
10. Serve with salsa over fish, garnish with a sprig of cilantro.