Finance Minister Dr Peter Phillips has been the Member of Parliament for St Andrew East Central since 1994. Here are some more facts about him:
- Phillips has served in various capacities in the Cabinet, including as Minister of Health between 1995 and 1997, Minister of Special Projects in the Office of the Prime Minister from 1991 to 1994, and Senator and Minister of State in the Office of the Prime Minister between 1989 and 1991.
- He was Vice President of the People’s National Party (PNP) from September 1999 to September 20, 2008; and General Secretary between 1991 and 1994.
- He is a graduate of Jamaica College and earned a Bachelor of Science in Economics and a Master of Science in Government from the University of the West Indies. He also completed doctoral studies in International Political Economy at the State University of New York at Binghamton.
- He is a former Lecturer in the Department of Government and the Consortium Graduate School at the University of the West Indies; and has published extensively on a variety of Caribbean development issues.
- He is married to attorney-at-law Sandra Minott-Phillips. The couple has two children, one of whom (Mikael) is also an MP (North West Manchester).
Be sure to check out our election hub and follow the hashtag #ElectionJa on social media to stay up to date on all our election-related content and activities.