Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) general secretary Dr Horace Chang is the current Member of Parliament for the St James North Western constituency. Here are some more facts about him:
- He is a Montego Bay native, where he attended New Roads All-age School and Cornwall College, where he was head boy and president of the sixth form association.
- As a student at the University of the West Indies, Mona (UWI), he was the president of the Guild of Undergraduates and has been credited with distinction of clearing that organisation’s debts and re-establishing ties with the University Student Federation of Cuba.
- He is a private medical doctor and part of the Doctor’s Hospital Group. He has also developed a successful prepayment health plan for low income workers.
- Chang has served as vice president for Young Jamaica, the JLP’s youth arm.
- He served as the JLP’s deputy secretary from 1981 to 1983, as well as chairman of Area Council Four and Member of Parliament for Western Hanover from 1980 to 1989.
Be sure to check out our election hub and follow the hashtag #ElectionJa on social media to stay up to date on all our election-related content and activities.