The court will be satisfied that the parties have separated for a continuous period of 12 months even if they resumed cohabitation for an insubstantial time for up to three months in an attempt to reconcile during that 12-month period. The 12-month period would not have been interrupted in spite of such an attempt. The parties could still be viewed as separated if they continue to cohabit in the same dwelling. This could be considered, for example, if one of the partners has removed from the matrimonial bedroom into another bedroom in the home, ceases to engage in sexual relations, or ceases to carry out household duties such as washing, cleaning or cooking on their spouse’s behalf.

Getting An Attorney

Under the new Civil Procedure Rules, divorce can be sought without an attorney, however it is advisable to get the assistance of an attorney or visit the Legal Aid Clinic for assistance.

Lawyers can provide support by:

  • Drafting the divorce petition
  • Obtaining the marriage certificate
  • Lodging the petition in court
  • Serving the petition on the respondent
  • Drafting documents outlining the plans for the care, maintenance and support of children
  • Requesting that the divorce be granted without a hearing
  • Negotiating for the settlement of property

Filing For Divorce

Step 1 – Filing the Petition

Once filed, the petition is not immediately returned to the attorney for service on the respondent. The first delay occurs due to the insertion of a step which, although not stipulated by the Matrimonial Proceedings Rules, requires the court’s registrar to vet the petition before signing and stamping. Even where there are no errors in the documents, the petition may take an average of one month to be signed. It could take longer, if an error is noted, which would involve the petition being refiled.

Step 2 – Applying for Decree Nisi

Fourteen days after the petition has been served on the respondent (in Jamaica), who raises no challenge to the divorce proceedings, the petitioner may submit an application to obtain the first order in the divorce proceedings – the decree nisiThe application is supposed to be submitted to a judge to be considered without the need for a hearing. What seems like a simple process in theory, could result in an average of six months before the application is placed before a judge.

Step 3 – Applying for Decree Absolute

Six weeks after decree nisi is granted, the petitioner may apply for the final order in the divorce proceedings (decree absolute). This, too, is an application which goes before the judge for consideration without the need for a hearing. It could take upwards of two months for the application to be placed before the judge.

If the couple has been married for less than two years there are some changes to the process that must be considered.

The affidavit in support of the application for permission to file a petition within the first two years of marriage must:

  • Provide proof of the marriage (e.g. a copy of the marriage certificate)
  • State the special circumstances which justify the hearing of the petition
  • Give particulars of any attempted reconciliation (an affidavit from the marriage counsellor would be helpful)
  • State whether there is a reasonable likelihood of a reconciliation
  • State whether there are any children, their names, ages, dates of birth and the arrangements for their care, maintenance and upbringing; and
  • Exhibit a copy of the proposed petition.