Here’s why students ought to be digging into diGJamaica – a thorough explanation of why diGJamaica is the perfect tool to #diG4U!
diGJamaica literally means Digital Information from the Gleaner. The ‘diG’ is an acronym as well as a play on the actual word, meaning “to delve, search, sift, go into, unearth, uncover.” This, in a nutshell, is diGJamaica’s special purpose: to facilitate the unearthing of information about Jamaica on a simple, easy-to-use digital platform. Our goal is to make this website the place online where all useful information on Jamaica resides. While we are still in the process of developing, here are some ways in which diGJamaica already meets the needs of students:
- Tons and tons of subject-based information: If you’re studying History in school, or Caribbean Studies, or Social Studies, or Geography … or anything at all to do with the history and geography of Jamaica, diGJamaica is the untapped resource you need to equip yourself with! With our access to The Gleaner’s 180-odd-year-old archives, we offer unparalleled details of Jamaica’s history from a uniquely accurate perspective. The section titled ‘Our Past’ covers the Jamaica 50 timeline, the different historical eras, and offers ‘Pieces of the Past‘ that takes you from the story of Emancipation, to historic towns and famous Jamaicans. We also have info on the rivers, mountains and caves in the country.
- A ‘Find-A’ Feature just for you: Do you need to find a tertiary degree program? diG has you covered. Do you need to find a library? We have a complete listing of all the libraries in the island. Do you need to find resources for special needs children? We have that too!
- Education resources: diGJamaica has an entire section of the website devoted to providing information on education resources that exist in Jamaica. This includes an updated academic year calendar, sourced directly form the Ministry of Education; exam results, a back-to-school guide and booklist guide. Students will find these resources useful in helping them navigate the Jamaican school system. Visit the section here: digjamaica.com/education_resources.
- Academic year calendar: How many times have you wondered when school is supposed to close for holiday, or reopen after a holiday? Stay on top of things with this updated calendar, giving dates for when each school term starts and ends, as well as holidays and exams.
- Scholarships supplement: Here’s a comprehensive list of all the scholarships being offered in Jamaica at various levels. There might just be something in it for you.
Other ways diGJamaica works for students:
- Explanation of Current Affairs: diGJamaica does not produce the news – that’s the Gleaner’s job! What we’re good at is complementing the Gleaner by explaining, defining and giving background to key issues in Jamaica’s news.
- Follow the blog! Our blog (www.diGJamaica.com/blog) gives you the highlight stories from the day’s news in a nutshell everyday. Articles like 10 Things To Have By 20 help you to understand the preparation process for going into the world of work in Jamaica. Others, like 10 Things Jamaican Parents Do To Discipline Their Children will have you nodding, relating and laughing. Additionally, our 6Things list is a quick read that keeps you up to speed. And we provide other feature articles on our blog that will amuse, entertain, educate and tickle your brain.
Watch out for more articles in the #diG4U series as we try to explain how diGJamaica is positioned to make life easier for persons from all walks of life. Whether it’s photos, charts, timelines, or in-depth listicles, DiG is your resource on all things Jamaica. It’s like the gift that that keeps on giving …