It’s Tip Thursday and as usual, we have some great tips for you, your friends and family.
We already spoke about water conservation in 7 Easy Water Conservation Tips so this week, it is all about electricity.
Let’s see if we can decrease our light bills. Conservation is the name of the game.
- Plug your electronic equipment into a power strip and turn off the power strip when leaving home or when the equipment is not being used.
- Reduce the amount of time spent using the fan. When not at home, unplug the fan.
- A 25 Watt fluorescent gives as much light as a 100 Watt incandescent bulb, lasts a whole lot longer, and uses only 5 Kilowatt hours a month.
- Iron your clothes on a weekly basis for no more than two hours. If you get busy, unplug the iron rather than leaving it unattended.
- When placing your refrigerator, allow adequate space between the fridge and the wall, so air can flow freely around the condenser coil.
- Keep your air filter clean in your air conditioning units. The machine will work more efficiently and therefore use less energy
- Run the heater for half-hour intervals only: ½ hour in the morning and ½ hour in the evening. You’ll have warm water when you need it and save up to 90 kWh a month.
Just a few easy tips to get you going. Any more?