Are you thinking about getting into a brand new career? Perhaps you’ve run out of patience trying to get a job in the area you were trained for in university. Or, maybe you’ve simply become bored and dissatisfied with a career in which you don’t see a future. Either way, you’ll find the following tips very helpful in making the transition.
- Have a financial cushion, if possible. If you are currently employed, save up to a year’s salary ideally, but no less than the equivalent of six months.
- Become a strategic networker. One of the most important clichés in career and business success is ‘your network determines your net worth’.
- Become an expert in your new field. ‘Good enough’ is most often not good enough when starting over. You have to be among the best.
- Do what you are. If you were a teacher and you’re starting over as a career musician, start practising your music career immediately.
- Persevere through setbacks. No career transition is smooth.
Read more here at Career Change Strategies