TGIF! What are you up to this weekend? Here are five activities and events we recommend.
- Eat, Drink, Celebrate as Restaurant Week 2014 starts today, running until next Saturday, November 22. Enjoy the feast as 75 of Jamaica’s best restaurants will offer specially selected three-course, fixed price dinner menus and lunch time specials at significantly discounted prices.
- Support Jamaica’s upcoming performing artists at the Save the Dream Dance in Concert, which takes place tonight at the Hope Gardens Ampitheatre (Shell Band Stand). The event kicks off with cockatils at 7:30pm, followed by acoustic performances from Wayne Marshall, Romain Virgo and Jah9. Tickets are $2,500 presold and $3,000 at the gate and are available at The Spa on South Avenue and Xtra’s Constant Spring and Manor Park. All proceeds go towards scholarships for students at the Edna Manley College for the Visual and Performing Arts.
- Feast on fantastic films from the Caribbean and Latin America at the eighth GRULAC Film Festival, currently underway at the PCJ Auditorium, 36 Trafalgar Road in New Kingston. The festival will run until Friday, November 21 with one full-length film each weeknight. Screening start at 7pm. Admission is free.
- Get your glow on at the Jamaica Wellness and Beauty Expo, today and tomorrow at Eden Gardens, 39 Lady Musgrave Road, Kingston. The expo will feature 50 exhibitors, daily conferences, hair and makeup demos, fitness classes, free spa treatments and health screening and more. Activities start today at 11am to 8pm and tomorrow at 10am to 7pm. Admission is free.
- Sing praises this Sunday evening at the Jamaica Pegasus Hotel as some of Jamaica’s biggest Gospel music stars and upcoming acts honour the charismatic Shirley Willis, former lead singer of the Grace Thrillers. The event, An Evening With the First Lady of Gospel, begins with a walk down the red carpet at 3pm, with a concert from 4pm to about 7:30pm. Admission: $2,000 presold; $2,500 at the gate; $3,000 VIP.