8 ozs corned pork
8 ozs fresh beef
2 qrts litre cold water
8 ozs Indian kale
8 ozs callaloo
6 ozs okra
8 ozs coco
8 ozs white soft yam
2 stalks scallion
1 sprig thyme
6 pimento grains
1 whole hot pepper
1 cup coconut milk
4 ozs shrimp
Ingredients for Dumplings
8 ozs flour
2 ozs cornmeal
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup cold water
1. Soak corned pork overnight in cold water to reduce saltiness.
2. Remove and drain.
3. Cut pork and beef in small pieces. Allow to cook in 2 quarts (2.2) litres of water.
4. Wash callaloo and kale in a lot of water and strip membrane from stalks.
5. Chop stalks and leaves finely.
6. Slice okra crosswise. When meat is almost tender, add vegetables.
7. Peel yam and coco. Cut in small pieces then add.
8. Mix together ingredients for dumplings. Knead and shape then add to soup.
9. Add all seasonings, coconut milk and shrimp. Simmer for 15 minutes.
Serve hot with thin bammy. Serves 10.
– From Sweet Runnings by Pamela Powell