Ingredients for crust
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
4 tbs. of cubed butter
1/4 cup heavy cream
3 large Chippenham Eggs
Ingredients for Filling:
1 leek (or 2 stalks scallion)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
4 tbs. cubed butter
1/4 cup half and half
5 large Chippenham eggs
1 small white onion (finely diced)
1/2 tsp. chopped fresh thyme leaves
1/4 lb. callaloo finely chopped
1 1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 ounce shredded cheddar cheese
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In food processor, pulse flours and 1/4 teaspoon salt until combined. Add butter pulse until coarse crumbs form.
2. Add half and half; pulse until just blended. If the mixture does not stay together when pinched, add ice water 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing after each addition. Shape mixture into a disk and cover with saran wrap. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or overnight.
3. Grease a nine-inch Pyrex dish lightly with butter.
4. On a lightly floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll dough into 12-inch round and place in Pyrex dish. Gently press against bottom and up side without stretching; trim the edges and prick holes in crust with a fork and line with foil. Bake crust for 15 minutes or until set.
1. In a medium sized sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil until hot.
2. Add onion, thyme, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cook for three to four minutes or until soft, stirring occasionally.
3. Add callaloo and cook for five minutes or until mixture is very soft and dry, stirring constantly.
4. In a large bowl, whisk eggs and milk.
5. Stir in Parmesan cheese, mustard, callaloo mixture, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
6. Spread bottom of crust with cheddar cheese.
7. Pour egg mixture into crust; bake for 32 to 35 minutes or until knife inserted in centre comes out clean.
Cool for 15 minutes and serve. Serves 4-6
– From Fuzion Food Services