Your news in a nutshell
The education ministry says it has put in place contingency plans to ensure that provisions are made for the safety and security of students in public schools tomorrow. This comes amid reports that public school teachers are planning to stage a sickout over a wage dispute with government. See full story on The Gleaner’s website.
Prime Minister Andrew Holness has disclosed the names of the commissioners who will be in charge of the new Integrity Commission. They are retired judge of the Court of Appeal Justice Karl Harrison as chairman, retired Court of Appeal President Justice Seymour Panton, Auditor General Pamela Munroe-Ellis, tax expert Eric Crawford, and former Contractor General Derrick McKoy. See full story on The Gleaner’s website.
Finance Minister Audley Shaw says the only way for government to meet the demands of public school teachers and other public sector groups clamouring for higher wages is to hike taxes on the population. In a release issued through the Office of the Prime Minister this afternoon, the finance minister insisted that the 16 per cent being offered over four years to public sector workers is the best that the government can give at this time. See full story on The Gleaner’s website.
The National Road Safety Council (NRSC) is calling for cameras to be installed in areas where speeding is known to take place and for tickets to be issued to those caught. The NRSC’s call comes against the background of four people being killed in Montego Bay, St James in two separate road crashes on the weekend. The crashes occurred within 36 hours of each other in the same vicinity. See full story on The Gleaner’s website.
Justice Adrian Saunders is to become the next president of the Caribbean Court of Justice. The sitting president Sir Dennis Byron made the announcement Friday. Saunders, who is from St Vincent and the Grenadines has been a judge with the Court from its inception in 2001. Byron is in his final year in office. See full story on The Gleaner’s website.
The number of persons dying on the nation’s roadways is again on the increase. Figures released by the Road Safety Unit (RSU) in the transport ministry show that 60 persons have died in 51 fatal crashes since the start of the year. The RSU notes that while fatal crashes are down seven per cent, the number of fatalities reflects a five per cent increase when compared with the corresponding period last year. See full story on The Gleaner’s website.