With 335 murders in 2017 alone, St James has become a veritable crime hotspot in Jamaica. To date, the parish has presented a major challenge to police operations, so much so that Prime Minister Andrew Holness has declared the parish to be in a State of Emergency (SOE). Below you will find a chronological detailing of links to news stories of the events that occur in and around the parish since this declaration, as reported by The Gleaner.
For greater background to the issue and clarity on what a state of emergency is:
- See our almost verbatim reproduction of statements at the press briefing where the SOE was announced
- See our infographics explaining What is A State of Emergency and how this affects citizens
- A Closer Look at All Jamaica’s States of Emergency: A historical perspective and synopsis of each
Thursday, Jan 18, 2018 – State of Emergency declared by Prime Minister Andrew Holness
After news in the early morning that a major military operation was taking place in St James, Prime Minister Andrew Holness invites press to a briefing at Jamaica House, where he declares that the parish is in a State of Emergency.
- Major Military Operation Under Way in St James
- Prime Minister Declares State of Emergency in St James
- Finally, State of Emergency for St James … Why It Took So Long
- What’s A State of Emergency? Things You Should Know
- What to Expect Under A State of Emergency
Friday, Jan 19, 2018
News reports say St James residents, business owners and stakeholders are happy that the state of emergency has been enforced, curfews come into effect, and a senior cop gets in trouble for leaking information to the media.
- Finally! St James Residents Welcome State of Emergency
- Crime-Torn St James Under Lockdown
- Early Shutdown Times for St James Businesses
- JMA Supports State of Emergency for St James
- Another Business Group Backs St James State of Emergency
- Senior Cop in Trouble Over State of Emergency Media Leak
- State of Emergency in St James Triggers Travel Advisories
Sat, Jan 20, 2018
Sun, Jan 21, 2018
The Gleaner publishes a telling article tracking the growth of crime in MoBay from lottery scamming to rampant crime and violence.
- MoBay’s Grim Reality -From ‘Lotto Scam’ to State of Emergency
- We Need Your Help – Security Forces Appeal to Residents for Info
- Munroe Backs State of Emergency but Urges … Remember the Lessons of 2010
Mon, Jan 22, 2018
Justice Minister Delroy Chuck says an emergency review tribunal will be established shortly to hear and consider appeals by persons who have been affected by the State of Public Emergency in St James. Head of the Jamaica Diaspora Crime Intervention and Prevention Task Force, Rupert Francis, says that the Government did the “absolute right thing” in declaring a state of emergency for St James.
- Chuck Says Emergency Review Tribunal Coming for St James
- State of Emergency is the ‘Absolute Right Thing’ – Diaspora Representative
- Hotelier Says MoBay Now Safest in Years – Bartlett: Gov’t Action Not Arbitrary
Tues, Jan 23, 2018
The National Security Minister Robert Montague reports that since the declaration of the SOE, 197 persons have been detained, and four firearms and about 30 rounds of ammunition seized.The regulations governing the state of public emergency are tabled in Parliament, and a tribunal, chaired by attorney-at-law Ian Wilkinson, will be set up to review cases of detention or restriction orders under regulations 22, 33, and 34 of the Emergency Powers Act.
- 197 Detained Since State of Emergency in St James
- House to Examine Regulations for State of Emergency
- INDECOM Backs State of Emergency in St James
- Protect the Innocent Under State of Emergency, Phillips Urges
- JIS: Tribunal to Hear Appeals Related to State of Emergency
Wed, Jan 24, 2018
Prime Minister Andrew Holness says the government is moving to ensure that adequate resources are in place for detainees under the state of public emergency.
- Gov’t To Ensure State of Emergency Detainees Have Adequate Resources
- State of Emergency Not Affecting Visitor Bookings – Bartlett
- Peace at Last – But Parents Worry About Teens Detained Under State of Emergency
Thurs, Jan 25, 2018
Families complain about the ongoing detention of some of the persons held by the security forces since the declaration of the SOE, as well as the conditions under which detainees are being housed.
- Wilkinson to Chair State of Emergency Tribunal
- Horrible and Inhumane Conditions – Persons Complain of Appalling Housing of Detainees of State of Emergency
- We are Watching You! – Gov’t Says Persons Trying to Undermine Security Forces are Known
- Mark Wignall: Escaping Our Tragic Reality
- I Meant It! – PM Remains Steadfast That J’cans Should Not Sleep In An Oven
Sunday, Jan 28, 2018
Tues, Jan 30, 2018
The House of Representatives pass a resolution to extend the State of Public Emergency in St James by another three months.
Sun, Feb 4, 2018
The St James police have compiled and released a new list of persons that they say are wanted for various crimes committed in the western parish.
Mon, Feb 5, 2018
The St James police say one of Area One’s most wanted men was charged with two counts of murder and one count of wounding with intent.
Tues, Feb 6, 2018
Montague suggests changing the name of the state of emergency to protect tourism interests in St James.
Sunday, Feb 11, 2018
No murders were reported in St James in a week when 26 persons were killed across the island.
- Zero Murders in St James Last Week
- Big Drop in Murders in St James as Other Parishes Face Pressure
- Editorial: In A State of Anarchy: Don’t Let St James Be Another Tivoli
Monday, Feb 12, 2018
Wednesday, Feb 14, 2018
Thursday, Feb 22, 2018
Friday, Feb 23, 2018
Saturday, Feb 23, 2018
Thursday, March 1, 2018
Friday, March 2, 2018
- Letter to the Editor: Backroad Detour from St James Checkpoint
- Cleric Wants State of Emergency in Westmoreland
Monday, March 5, 2018
Monday, March 12, 2018
Wednesday, March 14, 2018
Sunday, March 18, 2018
Thursday, April 5, 2018
Saturday, April 7, 2018
Monday, April 16, 2018
Tuesday, April 17, 2018
- St James SOE must end, public defender insists
- Chang: No complaints of human rights violations under SOE
Wednesday, April 18, 2018
- Public defender under fire for wanting to end SOE in St James
- Knutsford Express profit dips amid SOE
Sunday, April 22, 2018