Children’s author Roald Dahl has been an international favourite for decades. His birthday, September 13, is celebrated annually as Roald Dahl Day. His stories, such as Charlie Brown and the Chocolate Factory, Willy Wonka, Fantastic Mr Fox and Matilda, have stood the test of time and continue to regale and entertain children, inspiring young minds and igniting young imaginations, and enriching the childhood experience. Here are 10 quotes by the literary legend that speak to the life and times of people universally.
1. “It doesn’t matter who you are or what you look like, so long as somebody loves you.”
-From ‘The Witches’
Universal truth: Everyone has someone who loves them. OR There is someone out there for everyone.
Jamaican equivalent: Every hoe have him tick a bush.
2. “Never do anything by halves if you want to get away with it. Be outrageous. Go the whole hog.”
Universal truth: Life is most fulfilling when lived to the fullest.
3. “Lukewarm is no good. Hot is no good either. White hot and passionate is the only thing to be.”
-From ‘My Uncle Oswald’
Universal truth: Whatever you do, do it with all your might.
4. “Most of the really exciting things we do in our lives scare us to death. They wouldn’t be exciting if they didn’t.”
-From ‘Danny, The Champion of the World’
Universal truth: Fear should be embraced and overcome.
5. “You should never, never doubt something that no one is sure of.”
-From ‘Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’
Universal truth: If you don’t know, don’t speak as if you do.
6. “Nothing is any fun if you can get as much of it as you want. Especially money.”
-From ‘The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More’
Universal truth: Moderation is necessary in all things.
7. “Life is more fun if you play games.”
-From ‘My Uncle Oswald’
Universal truth: Find time to enjoy your life, and do not be consumed by just working.
8. “A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men.”
– From ‘Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator’
Universal truth: There is wisdom in not taking everything too seriously.
9. “So watch out, I say, when someone smiles at you but his eyes stay the same. It’s sure to be a phony.”
– From ‘Danny the Champion of the World’
Universal truth: Beware of fake smiles, and fake people.
10. “If you are good, life is good.”
– From ‘Matilda’
Universal truth: Good people attract goodness into their lives.
Jamaican equivalent: Walk good and good will walk with you.