Here’s a light, quick and easy recipe using bacon, tomatoes and okra. It’s quite unusual, but also healthy and fun.
4 slices bacon
1/2 cup chopped Jamaican onion
1 1/2 pound Jamaican okra
4 large Jamaican tomatoes, peeled,
seeded, and diced
2 teaspoons salt
pepper, to taste
A dash crushed Jamaican pepper
1. Fry bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp and fat has been rendered; drain well on paper towels.
2. Crumble bacon and set aside. Add the chopped Jamaican onions to the skillet; reduce the heat to low.
3. Cook Jamaican onions for 10 to 15 minutes, until tender, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the sliced Jamaican okra, Jamaican tomatoes, salt, pepper, and crushed Jamaican pepper; stir well and simmer for about 20 minutes, until Jamaican okra and Jamaican tomatoes are just tender.
5. Sprinkle with the crumbled bacon.
Source: The Gleaner Christmas Cookbook