The 2016 election will be one to watch. Let’s take a look at some numbers:
- In 2011, 771,726 eligible voters did not vote.
- While the national voter turnout was 53.17%, the voter turnout range on a constituency level was 40.64%-68.77%
- 176,374 persons have registered to vote since the last election in 2011
- The number of newly registered persons marks a 11% increase in the voters list
- In 43 of the 63 constituencies, the number of newly registered voters is greater than the number of votes by which the victor beat his/her challenger in the last election. The numbers highlighted in yellow signify these 43 constituencies. Note that the table is sorted by smallest to largest vote margin.
To download the Excel file for the image above, click New-Voters-and-2011-Vote-Margins.
What numbers will you be watching this election?
For more election data analysis, read: