Persons seeking to obtain a work permit are required to submit an application to the Work Permit Department of the Ministry of Labour and Social Security (MLSS) through their prospective employer, contractor or legal representative.
Employers submitting work permit applications on behalf of prospective employees are required to submit a cover letter to the Permanent Secretary of the MLSS, outlining:
- The reasons for the application
- The duration of the work being undertaken
- Any efforts to recruit local persons to carry out the work stipulated
Applications for work permits on behalf of self-employed persons must also be submitted with a cover letter outlining:
- The nature and duration of the work stipulated
- Certified copies of the credentials of the applicant
- Two (2) passport photographs
- The individual’s resume
- The individual’s police record
A non-refundable processing fee of JMD$14,400 must be submitted with the application. If approval is granted by the MLSS, a work permit fee must be paid by the applicant before the permit can be issued.
|Duration of Permit||Work Permit Fee (JMD)|
|Up to 3 months||$27,000|
|3 – 6 months||$54,000|
|6 – 9 months||$81,000|
|9 – 12 months||$108,000|
Click here to read more.