Five Facts Friday is here again.
The Reggae Boyz are in the spotlight again. Jamaica and Panama will meet tonight in a CONCACAF final round World Cup Qualifying (WCQ) football match at the National Stadium, beginning at 8:30. See World Cup Showdown – Jamaica Tackle Panama At National Stadium.
The anticipation is building. The field is prepared. The Boyz are ready. Are you?
Five Facts Friday is here to give you 5 facts about our Boyz in the black, green and gold: the Reggae Boyz
- Jamaica’s first international appearance was against their Caribbean neighbors Haiti in 1925.
- Jamaica made its first attempt at World Cup qualifying in 1965 under the leadership of Brazilian coach Jorge Penna for the 1966 World Cup finals in England.
- Jamaica was the first English speaking country from the Caribbean to ever qualify for the FIFA World Cup , 1998 in France.
- The Reggae Boyz have won the Caribbean Cup five times (1991, 1998, 2005, 2008, and 2010), finished second twice, and came third twice.
- Jamaican footballers are playing in pro or semi-pro for clubs around the world in countries such as Russia, England, the United States, Scotland, Sweden and China.